Is Something Wrong in Your Relationship?
Do you feel…
- confused about your relationship?
- like you are going crazy?
- that you are “walking on eggshells”?
- it is hard for you to spend time with family and friends?
- as if you can’t do anything right?
- that your partner decides when and where you have sex?
- you don’t have the right or are fearful to say no when your partner initiates sex?
- like you are in a relationship with a different person?
- that you need to justify everything you do and everyplace you go?
Does your partner…
- call you names or put you down?
- want to know what you are doing and who you are with at all times?
- act extremely jealous?
- find excuses to keep you from getting enough sleep?
- push, shove or grab you?
- keep you from leaving when you want to leave?
- say he will kill himself if you leave?
- force you to do things sexually you don’t feel comfortable doing?
- promise to change (get counseling, go to AA, etc.)?
If you are experiencing any of the above, you may want to talk to an advocate. She can help you process what you are feeling. What an advocate will not do is make decisions for you or tell you what you should do. Only you can make decisions about your safety and your life.
Is it My Fault?
Domestic violence is never OK or acceptable. It is caused by the perceived right of one person to dominate the other. While stress, alcohol, drugs and anger may appear to cause domestic violence, this is not the case. However, abusers use anger, stress, alcohol use, etc. as excuses to be violent and controlling.